Friday, August 31, 2012

Pretty Things

 

               IMG_3515

Alix and Kate’s room had bifold closet doors.  But they were not in the best shape.  So we decided to take them off and go with curtains.  I had a beautiful sheet I had picked up at an antique store on an anniversary trip with Glenn (notice a them with our anniversary trips?).

            IMG_3566

Well, apparently Alix has had her eye on that sheet for a little while now.  She asked if we could use it for the curtain.  Knowing one wouldn’t be wide enough for the closet, I came up with a plan.

IMG_3568

 

I split the floral sheet in 2 (it was hard to do – I always have reservations about cutting beautiful fabric!  But that’s why I buy them in the first place – to use!)  Then I looked through my bin of extra bed sheets (I love linens!) and found a big King size white one that would do perfectly.

                           IMG_3567

Instead of joining the sides of the different panels, I would make 6 separate panels.  I cut the sheet into 4ths, hemmed both long sides, and then evened up all 6 panels so they would have hems the same length.  I used a yardstick to evenly space the marks for buttonholes across the top of each panel and then stitched them on the sewing machine.  Finally, I cut similar lengths of white ribbon to thread through the buttonholes. I wrapped the ribbon around the curtain rod and tied double knots to secure it.  With the little girls, I may have made bows, but I thought the knots looked better for the older girls.  The ribbons are all white, and essentially the same width, but they are slightly different – one is organdy, one is satin, another is satin with tiny fringed trim on the edges.

 

  IMG_3564

The girls are very happy with them.  And we thought another cute idea might be to hang a couple of long strings of pretty beads from the rod between a couple of the panels, maybe the center ones.  We may be accumulating pink beads for a long time!

From doors…

                    IMG_1856[1]

to curtains!

          IMG_3565

Beauty + Function! 

1 comment: