Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Pink Hutch


 DSC02146 - Copy

One of the many challenges of an old house is storage.  Well, the lack of storage. 

When we moved here to Kenilworth, we had to get a little creative with where to put things.


Thankfully, the girls bathroom upstairs is fairly large, and was able to accommodate the hutch which used to be in their bedroom.  This was good because not only does it hold make-up and perfumes and lotions, which are typically used in a bathroom, they also hold toys.  Lots of Little People toys and things that are hard to keep track of if you don’t just toss them into one large container.  In this case – the large container is a hutch.


But the yellowish color of the hutch was really too much for the small bathroom. 

I had in mind to paint it for quite a while – I just wasn’t sure about the color.



But at last I figured it all out and spent several hours on it one day.  I sanded it a little, primed it, and then painted. 

DSC02148 - Copy

Afterwards I distressed it ever so lightly, and then waxed two coats to keep it from chipping too much.

DSC02147 - Copy

The results are just what I wanted.  It makes the bathroom seem bigger, and quieter.  Plus, the little bit of pale pink on some areas of the hutch gave a sweet contrast.  This is a little more obvious in person. :)


Even though the before shot isn’t the best, I think you can still see the difference it made.

 IMG_4743      DSC02143



The girls are tickled. pink.  ;)



Have a good day! 

Monday, January 19, 2015

Sneak Peek


I’ve been making some changes in the boys’ room over the last couple of months. 

Here and there, a little bit at a time.

I have one more major project to finish and then it is done.


But I thought you might enjoy a little sneak peek to whet your appetite…




I’m pretty excited about the changes.


So far the boys have given me their thumbs up approval, and we all agree it is looking more manly and appropriate for big boys/young men.


Hopefully I’ll soon be sharing the changes and you can tell me what you think.


Hope you are having a good start to your week!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Laundry Room Part 2


A while back, I posted an update to the changes we were doing in our Laundry Room, in this post last year.


It might seem that we forgot about the laundry room, or even that we didn’t make any progress since that post.

Well, for a while we didn’t.  It just took time to make it a priority again. 

And because I knew we couldn’t finish it the way I really would like to yet, I admit I felt a little blah about it.

Sometimes it’s hard not to be an “all or nothing” kind of person when it comes to projects. But living here is teaching me some good lessons in that respect.


I want to have glass front cabinets hanging over the washer and dryer, and maybe even a large wardrobe/linen closet on one wall… or just shelves over the folding table, and a wall mounted wooden drying rack.   

But the glass front cabinets need to be built by my Honey, since they need to fit exactly into the allotted space.  Which isn’t a standard size cabinet space.  I’m still looking….but *we* are doubtful about finding some that will fit.  And “we” certainly know alot more than “I” do about such things.

In the meantime, I decided that a counter and shelf over the washer and dryer could definitely be a help for now, and of course the counter will stay, even with glass front cabinets over it eventually.


Glenn built the counter and shelf, and I primed and painted them several months ago, and that is how things have stayed.


(imagine the shelf and counter painted – and the cereal box gone)


But a few weeks ago, we were at Lowes together and I spotted a rug which I thought might look great in the laundry room. 

And it does!



Buying the rug seemed to cause a domino effect, and proved to be the momentum for some forward progress!

Not long before, on a Goodwill trip, I spotted two white bowls.  At first I didn’t buy them, because I couldn’t figure out where to put them. But after getting the rug, I remembered those bowls, (well maybe they are pots?) and I knew just what to do with them.

Thankfully, they were still there when I went back.  I brought them home and filled one with our laundry soap, and assigned the other to holding the damp dishcloths waiting to go into the washer.


Glenn mudded the ceiling seams, finished the door trim, and made a small hanger for the ironing board from some leftover trim and two small hooks.


I remembered an extra mirror in our closet, which I had taken down when I did the art gallery walls.  It was a little too gold/brassy for the laundry room, so I took an artist’s brush and painted it to look as though it was old and worn down a little, so the gold would show through still. Just not quite as brightly.

IMG_9592     DSC01964

I hung the mirror over the folding table, and moved the three framed prints I made years ago to the wall near the washer.

I even stood on a step stool, while Glenn was mudding the seams, and stitched a little sock chain for the chandelier from old sheet scraps.

So although it isn’t just how I envision it yet, and we still have baseboard trim to do, it looks much better!


The rug is thick and warm under our feet, the mirror reflects the sparkly chandelier, and the white bowls look much prettier than the plastic ice cream container and glass jar I was using before.


Now, if we can just keep up with all the laundry! 

Thanks for stopping by.

Have a great day!