Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hope

 

DSC00146

 

 

There are times in all our lives when we stop and reflect.  Looking back over the course of all our days thus far, remembering trials and joys, laughter and pain.

Reflecting.

 

We think of things we said, which we wish could be unsaid.

 

Times we know we could have been more thoughtful, more loving, more selfless toward others in our actions and words. 

 

Memories play back behind the curtain of our eyes, our windows to the world, and we experience a semblance of the emotions we felt so intensely at one time, as we remember.

 

As a young mom, I often reflected on my words to my little ones, when I lay down in the quiet of night.  Regretting this harsh word spoken in a moment of anger, or a choice I made regarding loving and teaching them which I felt wasn’t good enough.

Wishing I could do it over. 

 

But there aren’t do-overs in our lives.

There is only now.

 

And our kind Savior redeems it all, our sins and mistakes – and even the things we view with pride or satisfaction in ourselves, yet which in reality can never measure up to what God accomplishes over and above us. 

In spite of our best efforts.  In spite of our worst mistakes.

 

His redeeming love is the ultimate consolation. The ultimate encouragement.  The ultimate comfort.

The ultimate reward.

 

As you reflect on your life, day by day, week by week, or even sometimes, hour by hour….  remember that there is always hope. 

 

Hope for damaged relationships.

Hope for brighter days ahead.

Hope for forgiveness.

 

And that hope has a name.

Jesus.

 

Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord.  To prosper and not harm you.  To give you a future and a hope.”

1 comment: