Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Laundry Room Part 1




When we moved to Kenilworth, the washer and dryer came with the house.  They were practically brand new, but there was one problem with them.  The color.  You know I would never have chosen that dark red, instead I would have chosen……..  yes, white.

Gradually I have become more resigned to the color of them, partly due to the fact that I keep a large white blanket folded over them; to decrease some of the red glare.

What I really want to put over them is glass front upper cabinets! I know that may sound weird for a laundry room, but I think it would look so pretty.  The width is just a little too big to buy stock uppers and hang them – it would cause 6 inches to be leftover on the end, an amount that’s not easy to conceal cleverly.  Glenn can make them, which he plans to do, but not any time soon, due to the many big-ticket items which take priority over glass front cabinets in the laundry room.

Since I also envisioned a counter over the washer and dryer, for extra folding space, Glenn and I decided we could at least accomplish that much now.  Plus an extra shelf above the counter for the detergent and rags, and other stuff that I store in the laundry room.  We can easily remove the upper shelf later, when we do the cabinets, but for now it would be a real asset.

Here’s a look at the counter in place – obviously we didn’t wait to start folding clothes on it until after painting.



(and just for the record… I wasn’t the one who *folded* those clothes!)


Glenn screwed in shelf brackets along all 3 sides of the wall underneath the counter, and he added a front lip to the counter for extra support.


Next we used cereal boxes to determine how high the shelf should be from the counter.




And now it was time to paint!


I’ll be back soon with the finished look!


Hope you all are having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment