The ceiling fan in the school room has long been on my mental “to-do” list.
In this picture, you probably don’t have quite the perspective of the visual blight that its overall appearance has been in the school room. It was a non-pretty shade of green.
Of course I had to paint it. It just took me a little while to get around to it, and to decide what color it should be. But I finally figured it out and one day, I grabbed a screwdriver, pulled up a chair, climbed up, and took it down. It was heavier than I expected, so I was glad Alix was close at hand to help me get it down. This was the first time I detached a light fixture, so I was careful, and turned off the light switch. ;)
And I took note of what color wires were twisted together. Black with black, and white with white. I wasn’t sure what either of them represented, other than a nasty little shock if I messed them up. But, thank goodness, that didn’t happen.
I unscrewed the blades from the fan, and the little decorative metal pieces that support the screws. Don’t forget to put a little piece of tape over the exposed wires and the light bulb sockets.
Then shake the can of spray paint, I used Rustoleum’s Stone Gray, for several minutes. The instructions on the can say 1 minute, but it really is better to do it longer. The paint is less likely to sputter and I find the coat is more even on the item I am painting.
I sprayed a couple of coats, just to get a nice, even coverage. Let it dry for several hours, and then screw the blades on and hang it back up!
Although it might not seem like much, I can’t tell you what a difference it has made in the whole look of the school room!
At least it has to me. :)
Have a great day!