Monday, May 20, 2013

A Shiny New Chandelier

When I first saw this chandelier, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. But it was such a great buy at $9.99, I couldn’t pass it up.

IMG_8039

I started with some metallic silver spray paint.  But it was just not right.

So I sanded some of the silver off, but it was still not quite right. 

Too much of the black was showing through.

But by now I was beginning to get a clearer image in my mind of what the chandelier could look like. I wanted something that resembled brushed metal.

Olivia and I went off to Menards for a mother/daughter search for the perfect paint.  We went to a section that had metallic paints and looked through their selection. After a few minutes of comparing, we chose a color called “Champagne”. 

Once we got home, I used a small craft paint brush to apply the paint.  It took only 2 coats and then a few touch ups here and there.

IMG_8666

We also replaced the socket covers, since the old ones were cracked and burnt.  This turned out to be the most challenging part of the project!  The chandelier needed 3 inch covers, and we could only find 4 inch, which is apparently the standard size for those types of covers.  After hunting around online, we decided that the easiest solution was to buy the 4 inch and cut them down to 3 inch. My handy handyman had them finished within minutes.

Here is the “new” chandelier!  I love it.  It’s so much prettier. Don’t you agree?

     IMG_9566

Here is a shot of the old flush mount compared to the new chandelier. 

 IMG_3344

IMG_9174 

Such a difference the light fixture made!

 

From this:

IMG_8039

to this:

    IMG_9180   

 

All with a little paint! 

2 comments: