Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gilding a Frame

 

We’re planning to do built in bookshelves in the front corner of the family room someday.  But until then, the wall looked a little too bare for me.

 

                      IMG_4424

So I’ve been checking in occasionally at Goodwill to see if I could find something.  I was picturing two gold framed prints here, with a hazy idea of what kind of prints might work.  One day a few weeks ago, I found something!  I wasn’t completely sure I really loved the prints themselves, but I thought the frames were very nice and maybe I could gild them.

IMG_5822

You can see on the bottom right side of the frame a little strip of metal.  It bears the name of a hospital in Zionsville, and so I assume that’s where the prints have been living for a while.  I’m pretty sure it’s been a while, although I don’t know exactly how long, because the backs of the frames still have the original manufacturer’s stamps on them. And they look pretty old!

At any rate, I had some MS bronze gilding already, so I painted two coats on the frames with a little artist’s paintbrush. After they dried, I used an old rag to rub on some gold Rub-n-buff.  Two coats seemed to be just right.  What do you think?!

IMG_6009

 

I love that they give a balanced look to the room now.  And they add a touch of brightness against the neutral whites and the brown trim of the doorway and windows.

IMG_6078

 

And the scenes themselves have really grown on me.  I think they’re very restful! 

 IMG_5999

So I’m off to snuggle with Glenn, have a cup of coffee, and put my feet up on the ottoman.  I might even check out Pinterest for a little bit…. maybe

1 comment: