Saturday I had fun working on a project I’ve been wanting to do for a while - a slipcover for the ottoman. Glenn made our ottoman years ago, and I had made a slip for it then, but last year, I was ready for a change. Since the work on Kenilworth made sewing projects a luxury, I’ve been doing a lot of catching up lately. I’m having fun doing some of the things that have been floating around in my mind.
Here is the finished product.
Nothing tricky, just a big square piece of dropcloth, bordered with pleats spaced at about 3 inches or so. To make the pleats stay down and look a little neater, I folded the seam on the underside away from the hem and top-stitched all the way around.
I also finished the curtains for the family room. I just did a simple drape style, using a shiny dupioni silk I bought for a steal just after Christmas.
Because the silk is lightweight, I lined them with white cotton sheets. Glenn bought me 3 King-size sheets, which I then cut in half to use as the liners. You can buy drape lining, but it was less expensive to get the sheets, and they were so easy to cut and fit to the panels of dupioni. I chose the silk because of the shiny quality of the fabric, and because I love the way they hang – like a beautiful dress.
Next, I’m keeping an eye out for something to re-do the gold chairs. I’m planning to bring in a blue color to the family room, too, in the way of throw pillows and the chairs. I’m thinking of a blue like this:
Meanwhile, I thought you might enjoy this picture I took of Olivia. She is already showing the tell-tale signs of being a computer geek.
Glenn is so proud.