Sunday, January 6, 2013

Chalk Painted Hutch

I’ve considered painting this hutch since we purchased it from Craigslist a couple of years ago.  But I knew it wouldn’t be quick, and there were other more urgent projects.  Besides, part of me liked the green, just not with the brown on the back, shelves, and desk. 

IMG_5353

I set a few goals for myself just before we took a break from school for Christmas.  Painting the hutch was one of them.

A little while back, I pinned a recipe for homemade chalk paint onto my DIY Pinterest board.  The recipe was simple:  Dissolve 1/2 cup of plaster of paris with 1/2 cup of hot water.  Then mix it with 1 1/2 cups of paint.  I decided to use the rest of the gray paint from the boys’ steps, since I liked the color (and it meant I didn’t have to make a special trip to Menards).  It seemed much stiffer than regular paint to me, more so than what I had seen on the internet, so I added a little more hot water until it had a smoother consistency. I had read a few articles about how to apply chalk paint, as opposed to regular paint, and I felt ready to go!

 

IMG_5409

As I painted, it continued to get a little stiff, so I occasionally added small amounts of water a little at a time, plus I had to keep stirring it every few strokes with a paint stick as I was painting.  It went faster than I had hoped, though, since there was no sanding or priming to do.  Before long… I was finished!

IMG_5413

The online instructions said to do a thin first coat, without going back over my brush strokes.  Then after about 2 hours, do the second and final coat.

You can see the finish looks a little aged and the original green kind of shows through the brush strokes.  This was what I was going for.  Smile  If you want to achieve this look, but don’t like the original color of your piece, you can use a different chalk paint color for the first coat, and then your final color for the finish.

 

IMG_5465   

I sanded lightly with a fine grit sanding block between the two layers, trying not to make it too shabby.

 

        IMG_5467               

The finish is definitely more gritty than regular paint, and since I move my sewing machines around sometimes, depending on what I’m sewing, I made sure to put 3 coats of polycrylic polyurethane on top.  I lightly sanded between the 2nd and 3rd coats of polyurethane.

                   IMG_5469

I love it!  I think it looks more graceful, somehow.

 

IMG_5353                IMG_5482         

 

In other household news, Olivia ended up getting sick, although not as bad as some of the others.  I am the lone survivor of the influenza this time!  Whew!  Thank you for praying for me!                  

2 comments: