I found this small loveseat during a trip through our local GW store a few months ago.
It had a great price and looked virtually unused. The frame was sturdy, the fabric clean (even though it was the wrong color!), and there wasn’t a stain or scratch on it.
I hoped it would fit into Alix and Kate’s room. Since they have loft beds, there isn’t a lot of seating space for them. They are sociable girls and love to have friends over, and they often invite the 3 little girls into their room to watch a movie together.
It was the perfect size for their small room and they loved it.
But of course the color of the fabric just wasn’t our style. But that’s easy to change….with drop cloth.
I knew this would be a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. I could make a new slipcover, and at the same time teach Alix and Kate how to measure and sew a slipcover themselves. Hopefully, one day, knowing how to do this will be a help to them.
Before we cut the fabric, we talked about what we wanted the slipcover to look like. Details like whether to use piping on the seams, whether to make a ruffled vs. pleated skirt, how to do the panels on the cushions. It didn’t take long to figure out. And in the end we are all three very happy with how it turned out!
(the sofa isn’t crooked, the floor is!)
We even made a cute little pillowcase from remnants of an old tablecloth, for added comfort.
Now all they need is a sleepover and a few girlfriends and cousins to come try it out!